Thursday, April 23, 2009

Steelers Draft


Going into this weekends NFL Draft I have some mixed feelings about the Steelers draft needs. As a majority of Steelers fans already think, offensive line is a big priority. However, in my opinion I thought that as the season progressed the line gelled quite nicely. Granted there is much room for improvement but I think we our first pick we should look elsewhere from offensive line. I think that we need to seriously look at both cornerback and defensive line. With Bryant McFadden leaving and Deshea Townsend getting up there in age I would really like for the Steelers to target a cornerback first. Now, whom ever we draft could get some time in the nickel his first year while sitting behind Townsend and Taylor. I'm not sure if he'd be there, but Alphonso Smith from Wake Forest would be my absolute primetime pick for the Steelers. A ball hawk at cornerback, either the ACC leader or tied for ACC leader in interceptions with Deion Sanders. Overshadowed in the past few months by teammate Aaron Curry but Smith can flat out play. I'd love to see him in a Steelers uniform. If Smith is gone however, I like Darius Butler from UConn or DJ Moore from Vanderbilt. Butler is about 5-10.5 and had a good year for the Huskies but had a sub-par Combine. DJ Moore is a smaller corner at about 5-9 but he made plays all over the field for the Commodores. The addition of Moore would not only bring a potential shut down cornerback but also a special teams gem who can return punts and kickoffs with the best of them.

My second choice for our first pick would be a big, strong defensive tackle that can anchor the defensive line. I am one of the biggest Casey Hampton fans but he is also getting older and is having trouble keeping his weight controlled. Chris Hoke is a very solid backup but certainly not the quality of starter over 16 games for a team like Pittsburgh. A player like
Evander Hood from Missouri (6-3 300lbs) is quick for his size or Ron Brace from Boston College (6-3 335lbs) would be a more traditional fit to be the big space eater in the middle of our 3-4 defense.

Of course, whom ever we pick with the 32
nd selection, pending a trade, will have to be worth it. Just because I want a CB or DT doesn't mean the Steelers should stretch for one they could get in a later round. The only way that I would go with an offensive lineman with the first pick is if one of the top Centers is available. Max Unger, Alex Mack, Eric Wood would definitely be acceptable to me. Unger has the capability to play every position along the line, as he had to at Oregon, and that is a very valuable skill set to possess. While Mack and Wood are more true Centers, they are both very good at what they do.

This is just the opinion of a fan of the
Steelers and just would I would really like to see happen. Give me your opinion on this matter or even let me know who you would like to see the Steelers select.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to see the steelers take smith in the first round if he is there. They can address center in a later round. I would actually like to see them get Shipley, who played awesome for psu in 3 yrs as a starter. He is a third round prospect and has the potential to be a solid lineman. I would also like to see them get some young talent in the dline mix. A wr wouldn't hurt either but they should wait til the later rounds.

    ReplyDelete