Saturday, April 25, 2009

Recapping Steelers Draft - Day 1


The first two rounds of the 2009 NFL Draft are in the books. As I had hoped, the Steelers were able to get, what I feel, is much needed depth at defensive tackle. As stated in an earlier post about the Draft, Evander "Ziggy" Hood is a big (6'3 300lbs), quick (4.8 40 yd dash) interior lineman who can come in to spell Casey Hampton. The thing I feel will be most beneficial with this pick is that Hood has a very good ability to get into the backfield as well as rush the passer, he's not just a space eater in the middle. Since Hampton comes out on 3rd down passing downs I think that is where Hood will be able to come in and apply pressure on the quarterback. I also think Hood has the quickness to play 3-4 defensive end. Being able to play, atleast I think, all 3 defensive line positions in the 3-4 is going to be a huge attribute for an already sterling defensive unit.

Pittsburgh's 2nd round selection (32, 64 overall) was traded to the Denver Broncos for two 3rd round picks (15 and 20, 79 and 84 overall). The Broncos also received the Steelers 4th round pick. I really like this trade, I don't feel there was much value at their original spot for the positions needed. This trade now gives the Steelers 8 draft picks tomorrow (three in 3rd round, two in 5th round, one in 6th, and two in 7th). Needing to upgrade and/or get depth at offensive line, defensive back, and possibly wide receiver, having 8 picks will be very beneficial to us tomorrow.

As a Steeler fan I can say that I am quite pleased with getting Hood and look forward to our fantastic front office to continue to get after it tomorrow and improve our team.

No comments:

Post a Comment